28 February 2008

Thursday Thirteen - 2nd Edition

Last week I posted 13 things about me using the first 13 letters of the alphabet. I promised the conclusion of the alphabet this week....
N - Newsletter for MOPS. I am active in a moms group here in Arlington called MOPS, Mothers of Preschoolers. I am on the Steering Team and hold the position of Publicity Coordinator. My main job is to produce the newsletter each month. I think this activity is what renewed my love for blogging because I realized how much I enjoy having a 'platform'.
O - Oz. As in Dr. Oz. When I was first diagnosed with Crohn's Disease I purchased his book, "You the Owner's Manual" because my friend Tessa told me all about this episode of Oprah where Dr. Oz was on there talking about Poop. Well, now Dr. Oz is on Oprah all of the time and I also own his new book, "You on a Diet". I have enjoyed both books and have learned an unbelievable amount of information about the human body...just one more confirmation of how awesome our God is!
P - Playgroup. Kirstyn and now James are in a playgroup with some great friends! Kirstyn and I joined this playgroup when she was just a tiny baby. This group of moms have become great friends of mine. Kirstyn always looks forward to doing activities with playgroup...little does she know that I also enjoy our time together!
Q - Quality Time and Acts of Service, My two main Love Languages. If you have ever read anything about the book by Gary Chapman called "5 Love Languages" you will know what I am talking about and if you haven't read it you should. I have learned so much from this book. When my husband and I did this book as a Bible study many years ago, it was like a light bulb was turned on and we suddenly understood each other much better. His book written about children has also helped us learn to love on Kirstyn better.
R - "Rain Rot" Just saying this out loud makes me smile. I have always affectionately called Kirstyn's cartoons 'Brain Rot' and I can remember one time in the car on the way to Arkansas and I told Kirstyn she needed to rest her eyes and take a little nap and then we would watch a DVD. Well, needless to say, she did not want to take her nap first so she ended up crying herself to sleep saying "Rain Rot, Rain Rot, Pweeeeeeeease, my Rain Rot". Too funny now that I am not in the car with her going deaf!
S - Skating! Well, Kirstyn has started taking Ice Skating Lessons and loves it. We decided that it would probably help her a lot with ice skating and her confidence if we got her some roller blades to practice with at home. Well, my loving husband decided that I also needed some roller blades. ugh. I never learned how to roller skate back when it was popular because I fell down and busted my head open in Kindergarten at a friend's skating party and I never tried again. Well, now I am attempting to learn to roller blade (stop laughing!) in my garage where no one can see me making a complete fool of myself!!! Kirstyn is going to be skating circles around me in no time! PRAY FOR ME! :-)
T - TV. Where do I start. I LOVE me some TV!!! I have always had shows that I enjoyed watching but since we started our business and had children, I find myself watching lots of TV. First, I have to be home every night by 8 for bedtime and often David ends up in his office working after we put the kids to bed so I find myself watching TV and surfing the web. My current favorites include 24, Brothers and Sisters, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Criminal Minds, Boston Legal, Biggest Looser, The Unit, Numb3rs, Las Vegas, Desperate Housewives, and Two and a Half Men.
U - Upper Teeth! Any one that has a baby that is teething can understand why this would warrant getting its own letter in my alphabet about me. It is amazing how this can affect your baby! James seems to be doing pretty good during the day although sometimes doesn't want to finish his bottle and you can tell it is because it hurts to latch down on it. It has however affected his sleeping. He has been crying in his sleep and then eventually wakes up. Like last night. He started crying in his sleep about 2am but didn't actually wake up and stand up and start screaming until 3 am! ugh....I don't enjoy having my sleep interrupted for what felt like most of the night!
V - Vegetables (Thanks Ann!) Well, when I first asked my friend Ann, a dietitian, to help me loose some weight, one of the first things she asked me was what kids of vegetables I liked. uhhhhh....well, green beans and corn were the only two I could think of that I would eat. Well, she challenged me to eat at least one new vegetable per week. Now, almost 5 years later...I will eat just about any veggie put before me and I have learned that I actually LOVE roasted vegetables and even look forward to eating them. I think my new favorite is roasted cauliflower or roasted sweet potato "fries"! Yummy vegetables.
W - Webkinz. Kirstyn is obsessed with her Webkinz. She loves playing with her webkinz animals both on line and in person. Her favorite game in webkinz world is a fashion show game and she also really likes playing Go Fish. It is too cute to watch her talk to these animals like they are listening! David and I also enjoy playing on her account. We initially started playing to help her win some money because she is a consumer! Well, we found out that there is really much to be learned and we have both enjoyed playing. It really is amazing how that can make a site like that that appeals to both young and old!
X - X-Ray revieled the need for Ned's surgery. Ned, David's dad, just had some more x-rays done and it looks like he will be needing even more surgery to repair his pelvis again. (He was severely injured in a car wreck about 18 months ago.) The x-rays show that some of the screws used to repair the pelvis initially have broken loose and will need to be repaired. Please be in prayer for him as he faces this upcoming surgery.
Y - Youth. David and I enjoy helping out with the youth group at our church from time to time. Every time they need a host home for something, usually disciple now weekends, we always sign ourselves up. More recently they had a Purity Now day and David spoke and gave his testimony to the boys. I guess as our children get older we will be presented with many more opportunities to help out.
Z - Zoo. One of my favorite things to do with my kids is go to the Zoo. David and I used to go to the Fort Worth Zoo on dates even before we had kids. It is such a nice place to walk around and take pictures. Kirstyn loves to get up close with the PINK Flamingos!

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

great list, I used to love going to MOPS (years ago.)
Thanks for stopping by today, I hope you come again soon!
Kristine

Unknown said...

Oh, I feel your pain on the upper teeth thing. Except Gavin is the opposite on how it effects his sleep. He is REALLY grumpy during the day and then sleeps fine at night.

I will pray for David's dad.

SimplyAmusingDesigns.com said...

I'm totally with you on the 5 Love Languages...it's an excellent book!

And I feel for you on the teething issue. Have you tried teething tablets? They really helped with my three kids.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh the teething thing is so not fun! (I have 2 little brothers)

What a FUN idea for a TT!!! I may have to "steal it" from you. =p

Happy TT!
Nik

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Great list! It's good to get to know you better :-)

I hope James' teeth give you all some peace and I'll pray for David's dad.

:-)

Natalie said...

What a fun idea for a list. The Rain Rot cracked me up!

Dallas Meow said...

sweet potato "fries" ! ! !
tell me more - tell me more!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Hey Natalie,

I have tagged you for a meme, hope you can participate!

Kami

Melanie said...

LOVE the zoo!

melissa rohr said...

LOVE your tt-what a great idea, to cover lots of stuff. i could relate to a lot :)

Anonymous said...

I love your "abc" lists! Very creative and you did great, even on the hard letters!

Anonymous said...

My children recently got me hooked on Webkinz. We have a total of 21 so far (between the 11 of us), and three of them are MINE! LOL

I'm just a big kid.